Re: 'Old fashioned' Tech Writers

Subject: Re: 'Old fashioned' Tech Writers
From: "Nora Merhar" <nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:00:50 -0000 (UTC)

> As for old-fashioned technical writing, from the post, it seems that
> this old-fashioned tech writing is really more about jumping through
> red tape and staving off lawsuits than it is about providing user
> assistance. No?

I dunno. I do "old-fashioned" technical writing--IOW, I don't document
software--but the products I write for are pretty cutting-edge, and we are
moving more and more into using SGML, so it's not like I'm writing manuals
for a cotton gin using parchment and a quill pen.

I feel like I am in a great position. My users are REQUIRED to use my
manuals. There are MANY reviews, some with the users directly, some with
people who function as user advocates. At every turn, somebody is asking
how to make the procedure easier/better/clearer for the users. All the
procedures are tested, and tested again. Yes, there are certainly
liability issues that have to be accounted for (IOW, we have to make sure
the correct cautions and warnings are included in the correct places), but
please--how often can misusing software actually KILL you?

The documentation has to be complete, correct, and as clear as I can make
it. And I have the satisfaction of knowing that the users care about it,
that they have input into it, and that it IS used.

> (Lawyers are in a great position. Since most of our legislators (USA)
> are lawyers, they get to write laws with loopholes that they can then
> exploit to earn wealth; nice gig, eh?)

Zzzzzz... oh, was somebody lawyer bashing again? How very clever and
refreshing...
--
Nora
nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh