Re: 'Intuitive' software applications

Subject: Re: 'Intuitive' software applications
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:58:53 -0400

> I'm just starting off a research project looking at whether 'intuitive' software applications actually exist, and discussing the implications for documentation of such systems.

Nothing can be 100% intuitive. Even a mechanical pencil can be
relatively complex given the right user (one who's never seen one
before).

> I'd be grateful for your input on what you understand by 'intuitive' software applications, whether you think they exist, and whether users and tech writers/ developers have different understanding of the term 'intuitive'.

I think they do exist to some extent. Of course, the intuitive aspect
s dependent on the user's conceptual knowledge of the technology. Take
IM software for example. Millions of people use it daily, and most
have never read a word on how this stuff works or how to use it. It's
a simple form-based UI that varies from one make/model to the next.
You click a name in your list, you click a button labeled "chat" or
something, and then a small dialog box pops up with a text input
field, a scrolling log of the conversation, and a "send" button. Even
adding "buddies" is getting more and more "intuitive" as time rolls
on.

That's one example. I'm sure there are many more, but it's bagel time here! :-)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com