Re: Time estimate for writing manual

Subject: Re: Time estimate for writing manual
From: "Ed Wurster" <eawurster -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 06:51:26 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bonnie Granat"
> pretty much what my comment said. I have agreed to nothing, and that's
> the purpose of my discussions with the client -- we are getting ready to
> sign something, and I'm not going to agree to a certain number of hours
> beforehand. If that isn't clear by reading the comment, I suggest those
> who think I agreed to anything read it again.

The price of 8K seems low to me when there is little definition of scope,
contract, etc.

If you agree to 8K, in some way you must specify your responsibilities. Even
more important is the client's schedule, what you require, and when it
should be done.

You must cover all of this in a contract. Do the work for a fixed price, but
specify the timetable and what a typical page will contain, how many pages
are estimated, and so on. Add an addendum that specifies hourly rate for
additional work outside the original contract. Explain to the client that
the hourly rate for additional work is discounted, and not used in the 8K.

Clients feel comfortable with a fixed price. Eventually they will know your
rates.

Ed Wurster
http://www.ewurster.com/blog/

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com