Re: Time estimate for writing manual

Subject: Re: Time estimate for writing manual
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:51:13 -0400

> I beg your pardon? Why on earth would I mind that?

Well, it was nothing against you. I just find it's good to cover
myself like that these days. Let's face it, there are more and more
Tinas out there... LOL!

> You may consider it wishy-washy; I consider that it made a
> counter-offer.
> The net result of what I said is virtually the same as the gist of what
> you wrote.

I'll agree, and I'm glad to hear that none of this is final in
contract form. That gives you an opportunity to really pour over and
think about the details before committing to work. However, (and you
knew that was coming) if something is an unknown, a wild guess is not
reasonable and you should never indicate otherwise. I say this to help
you, having learned that first-hand on my first contract gig many many
moons ago. And yes, it only happened once... the harder the lesson,
the better you learn. ;-)

> I have agreed to nothing, and that's
> the purpose of my discussions with the client -- we are getting ready to
> sign something, and I'm not going to agree to a certain number of hours
> beforehand. If that isn't clear by reading the comment, I suggest those
> who think I agreed to anything read it again.

I didn't mean to indicate you agreed to anything, but the phrases you
chose to use can very easily be used to your disadvantage. That was
what I was getting at, and I believe the same was John's intent (if I
may guesstimate).

> Thank you, Dood. Or should I call you Goober?

Either will work. ;-) And you're welcome. And good luck!

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com