Re: Time estimate for writing manual

Subject: Re: Time estimate for writing manual
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 12:52:43 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>

> Was there a better way to handle it? I thought of posting my question
> before I made the comment, but that was yesterday and I concluded that
> I'd just see what you all would say after the deed was done.

When I was consulting/contracting, I would tell prospective clients that
I needed to see the product in use, even if it was in alpha form, before
I could provide an estimate of hours required Usually that meant going
to the client facility for a demo, but in some cases they just sent me
copies
to self-demo (if there was no working prototype, I could estimate from a
copy of the product spec, but in those cases I always padded the
estimate like crazy and made sure the contract provided for re-estimate
when the inevitable feature creep happened).

Gene Kim-Eng

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com