Re: Denver Contracting

Subject: Re: Denver Contracting
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:07:11 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michele Davis" <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>

> I humbly disagree, this has NOTHING to do with creating an empire. Case
> in point, I know someone whose job is Oracle but he does PHP as a side
> business. He doesn't have a contract with his FT employer and it's sorta
> like being gay in the military, don't ask, don't tell. That was my
> point. Touchy Tocuhy....

Most employees don't have detailed "contracts" with their employers, but
they signed a document in which they acknowleged that violation of the
rules of conduct in some employee handbook or another will be grounds
for disciplinary action or dismissal. If your employee handbook says "no
outside work," or requires you to clear same with your managment, the
fact that that isn't the common practice doesn't change your situation.
Offhand, I'd say this is especially true at Oracle, where employees are
sometimes looked upon more as King Larry's consumable chattel.

Gene Kim-Eng

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com