Legal disclaimers, warranties, etc.?

Subject: Legal disclaimers, warranties, etc.?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:00:41 -0400

Don White wondered: <<If you have set up a technical communications company, do you use a Limitations of Liability clause in your contracts?>>

I'm a sole proprietor without a registered company, but my contract specifically and clearly states that I am not a subject-matter expert and that all my work must be approved by such experts to ensure that no technical problems arise. Depending on the specific contract (most of my work is editing), I also include a clause stating that final approval of all my edits (to ensure that I haven't changed a meaning or lost context) is the client's responsibility.

<<Personally, I cannot see how most writing in and of itself would require a warranty or a warranty disclaimer...>>

Clients are people too. That means most of them are great to work with, but the occasional one is a right proper bastard and will go out of their way to screw you. A contract is your only protection, and that contract should be legally valid ***in your jurisdiction***. That means you need to include a clause stating which jurisdiction's laws govern the contract, then run it past a lawyer in that jurisdiction to confirm that it's legally valid.

<<Same with policies you may have regarding guarantees and remedies for disputes or breaches of contract.>>

My contract also explicitly states that I retain copyright for the work I've done until such time as I receive full payment, but that I'll grant (upon request) permission to use my work if partial payment has been received and I'm confident the rest of the money is coming.

<<I need help determining how these things should be structured or (better yet) a clue or two concerning templates for such things.>>

Because jurisdictions vary in their legal gymnastics, you really need to go to a lawyer. People like Nolo Press (http://nolo.com/) offer templates to get you started, and using these templates can trim your legal bills, but you'll still need final approval of your revision of a template by a lawyer.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com