RE: Documentation and Training

Subject: RE: Documentation and Training
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- bankofamerica -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:35:51 -0400

John,

I'd be curious to see how and if this approach works in larger organizations. I've been successful in combining this functions in the past, but the company I worked for was very small. It gave me the opportunity to go on-site to observe how users actually work with the products, and that was invaluable for documentation, training, customer service, and QA purposes. It's also why I like to refer to the whole gamut as user support...I think it's critical to the success of any software product (and lots of other products and services too), to recognize how these areas actually link together to reach the ultimate goal, productive users and happy customers.

I would try to take the opportunity to bring that kind of integrated vision to these areas. It allows each area to add value to the company and its products, which is usually music to the ears of management. Find the key people in each of the areas and figure out what their personal and professional goals are, how they synch up with company goals, and then it should be clearer on how you can craft a strategy for integrating the pieces.... everybody wins something.

Don't know if it helps for your situation, but it has worked for me in the past. Good luck!

Connie Giordano

Contract Technical Writer, Bank of America
Principal, The Right Words

www.therightwords.com

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible"
-Walt Disney