Re: FWD: Managing managers and cell phones

Subject: Re: FWD: Managing managers and cell phones
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:49:33 -0400

Anonymous wrote:

someone who is busy much of the day. Whenever I schedule time with
her, I can count on her cell phone ringing, her answering it, and
proceeding to discuss something that is in no way an emergency,
important, or not able to wait. ...By
the time the cellphone conversation is over, I've run out of time or
she's on her way to another meeting.

It's just basic primate behavior, with a touch of Machiavelli.

"Making people wait" is historically a strategy used by potentates to show control/dominance over their subjects. Corporate managers do this all the time, consciously or not. They interact normally with people of their own rank, but lower-ranking members of the troop have to 'schedule a meeting.' LBJ reportedly used to meet with people while he was sitting on the toilet.

If you want to reject her domination, try walking out of the room the next time she answers the cell phone. Then *you* would be demonstrating control/dominance of the situation.

Or, ask her at the beginning of the meeting to turn off her cell phone (of course, in this case you would still be a supplicant, but an uppity one).

If all else fails try this:
http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm

:-)

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com