FWD: Managing managers and cell phones

Subject: FWD: Managing managers and cell phones
From: Anonymous <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 06:01:38 -0600 (MDT)

Forwarded anonymously on request. Please reply to the
list if you want the original poster to see your message. EJR
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I have a situation that is causing me problems with communication and
getting my work done.

As we all know, cellphones are pretty ubiquitous in the workplace. I
carry one and almost everyone I know carries one. However, when I'm at
work and in a meeting, I keep mine on vibrate and let any personal
calls go to answering service, I'm finding out that most people don't.

My situation is that my manager must have someone on the other end;
I'll guess a husband, boyfriend, or child, who does not understand
that when they call her, maybe 5-10 times a day, they are calling
someone who is busy much of the day. Whenever I schedule time with
her, I can count on her cell phone ringing, her answering it, and
proceeding to discuss something that is in no way an emergency,
important, or not able to wait. Then, even when she says she's in a
meeting, the person on the other end doesn't seem to understand. By
the time the cellphone conversation is over, I've run out of time or
she's on her way to another meeting.

These are not isolated instances. It is more common place
than not.

Obviously...I cannot tell her who she should be taking calls from, and
obviously, I cannot tell her that she can't take calls when we're
discussing business.

Anyone in the same boat?

Forwarded anonymously on request. Please reply to the
list if you want the original poster to see your message. EJR

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com