Re: Case study: how to get a job

Subject: Re: Case study: how to get a job
From: oudeis <oudeis -at- tampabay -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:11:24 -0400

At 07:25 AM 6/24/2004, Dick Margulis wrote:

The eighth response, although the Web client medium is not conducive to formatting a T-letter, was essentially a T-letter in content. It addressed the requirements _I_ identified in the job description with _explicit_ answers directed at _my_ questions. The linked samples _demonstrated_ that they embodied the technical features I'm looking for.

I'm in my thirties. I went to an ordinary public school, although I must say it was outstanding when I later learned of others' experiences.

I learned how to write a cover letter in the 12th grade. It wasn't called a T-letter. It was called a _cover letter_. :)

I mean, what you're saying isn't news to me. I learned when I started hiring in this industry (this hasn't been my experience in three other industries) that few people actually write cover letters, nor do they do much research on the company. I was astonished to receive 100s of resumes with generic cover letters from people who hadn't followed very explicit instructions: plain text only, no attachments. HTML e-mail and attachments will be rejected.

(Please don't complain that I may have missed out on a gem of an employee. If the person doesn't understand why a security company doesn't use HTML e-mail or accept attachments, then they don't have the minimal skills needed for the job. And frankly, if you can't heed two simple requests then you don't have the skills for any job. :) Sorry, I'm crankier about the human condition than normal: I've been having to deal with a marketing and make.money.fast.on.the.net dork for the last two weeks.)

I am curious if it's a quirk of this industry, which exploded during economic boom times and a VC bubble. I've always suspected that job seekers never developed the skill because they never _had_ to. But, I'm only one person so perhaps others with varied experience in other industries might have thoughts on the matter.

Kate

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com