Tools for coordinating to-do lists and project management: summary

Subject: Tools for coordinating to-do lists and project management: summary
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:24:31 -0400

Earlier this week, I wrote to request advice on an appropriate tool that would let me streamline the planning for the STC Region 1 conference in 2005. Basically, I wanted to be able to track all the "to do" lists for each committee, with the chair of that committee responsible for updating the list rather than picking one poor soul to do all the hard work.

Although this would be easy enough to kludge together using a small Web site, perhaps based on Macromedia Contribute, that's not the most elegant solution, and may be outside our budget. I received the following suggestions for more robust alternatives:

- The Celoxis software (www.celoxis.com/html/demo.php) seems quite powerful, well-suited to this task, and reasonably affordable. However, it's beyond our budget right now.

- Excel (2000 and later?) offers an interesting tool: Prepare your table with task, status, etc. and upload it to your Web site (File -> Save as Web Page; select the following: Selection: Sheet, Add Interactivity; click the "Publish" button. Under Viewing Options, select Add Interactivity With and the necessary options, including Open Published Web Page in Browser to see the page when you publish it.) Worth a try!

- A "roll your own" approach: Create the lists as HTML files, with table columns used to track the status. Each committee manager would then update and upload their own "page". Should work just fine, particularly since we'll have to begin setting up a conference Web page at some point.

Thanks to all who provided suggestions. If I didn't reply to you personally, my apologies; I never received your message, so please re-send it to techwr-l so everyone else can benefit.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com