Employers & Personal Information

Subject: Employers & Personal Information
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:22:00 -0500

Ned's post got me thinking. Last week I spoke to a recruiter. They were recruiting for a TWing position, but the TWer had to take meeting minutes as well. They also stated in the job description that skill was not important, but getting along with "everyone" you were expected to play with was. I should have ran for the hills, but I said, "OK, submit me." The recruiter told me that she has hesitated running some jobs past me because I used to be too hung up about money. This particular job she told me was flexible, so I could still take my Spanish classe and French refresher and needn't worry, so rate didn't bother me.

When I found out my husband's job was moving to India I started applying for managerial communication roles. Invariably the salary was good, but noone was OK with the fact that I have been a consultant for 15 years. I became a consultant because when I was in graduate school I had a job interview. I was TAing and going to grad school full time. This interviewer asked me what I was doing besides TAing and graduate school fulltime, and I said I was writing a novel. She replied, "It must be nice to have unlimited income to write a novel."

Assumption. I didn't have unlimited income which was why I was applying for that job.

Now I experience discrimination based on my consultant experience, the credit cards I own and use frequently (yes, I have been told I am a snob because of a few credit cards I use), I have also been told a few choice things about the fact that I don't have debt---for example, "You shouldn't be applying for this job, you should let others less fortunate than you apply." Since when was earning a living considered wrong if you don't have debt? That was why I don't have debt, because I don't spend beyond my means.

Even a pristine credit report can cause problems. I have given up, by the way, looking for FT communication jobs. I am going to continue slogging away at my writing as a consultant. Plus, I hear that wearing many hats keeps the synapses firing stronger and longer...

Cheers, Michele

--
Michele

"I kissed her goodbye, said all beauty must die..." Nick Cave & Kate Bush
www.krautgrrl.com

Ned Bedinger wrote:

Even without the 'net, I know that some employers will get my
resume and begin evaluating me with a credit check. I've been
told by recruiters that some employers require the credit check,
and candidates will be dropped if the check reveals so much as an
overdue payment. We all, especially job seekers, need to be
aware and manage our credit records--it is a cinch for anyone to
find information there, and it might affect you in unexpected
ways. If I understand how to get someone else's credit reports
(and it is entirely possible that I don't), one needs little more
than someone's name and address to get their credit history,
social security number (US), names of other family members, etc.
Credit reporting agencies are the hyenas, lurking just outside
the flickering circle of light from our home fires!

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com