Re: RE: TECHWR-L ADD Therapy

Subject: Re: RE: TECHWR-L ADD Therapy
From: "Jason A. Czekalski" <topsidefarm -at- mva -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:04:22 -0400

Tim,
I did not mean to insult people with ADD/ADHD, nor was I trying to
infer that it is "all in their mind". Quite the contrary on both
points. If anyone interpreted it that way, I apologize.

The point I was trying to make was that people with ADD/ADHD are
different, not diseased. Their learning/thinking style is not adapted
to our modern, technological society. It certainly is not "all in
their mind", and I never even hinted at that. It is the society that
has the problem, not these individuals. Unfortunately, society will
not change, so these people have to learn to adapt. What should
really be happening is that our education system needs to be
revamped.

As for the scientific evidence, I have serious questions about the
methodology. First, who defined what the "normal" levels of
neurotransmitters should be in the brain. Sorry, but the Great
Engineer has not given us a spec sheet as yet. Besides, there is now
research demonstrating the "different not disabled" model. It links
certain "learning disabilities", like ADD and ADHD, with our history
as hunters, and as prey. As for what can be "demonstrated empirically
in numerous controlled studies", remember, there were studies done in
this country, up into the 1970's, that "demonstrated empirically" the
intellectual inferiority of blacks. Are you as willing defend
those "studies"?

Finally, be careful judging people you don't know. Just because one
particular person didn't bare his soul here doesn't mean he hasn't
dealt with "disabilities" his whole life, and yet still been able to
suceed at life.

Jason A. Czekalski