Re: Reviewing FrameMaker documents

Subject: Re: Reviewing FrameMaker documents
From: David Knopf <dklists -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:44:59 -0700

on 6/14/2004 1:34 PM Cheryl Magadieu wrote:

We are looking into ways to share FrameMaker documents with reviewers who
don't have FrameMaker or the full version of Acrobat. Our company is small,
and we have a small budget to match. We are leaning toward WebWorks
FinalDraft:

<snip>

One drawback to using the WebWorks product is that review copies are in
HTML. Currently, our documents are distributed as PDFs, although we'd like
to distribute them as HTML files someday. (We have WebWorks Standard, and we
are undecided about whether to buy WebWorks Publisher Professional or
RoboHelp for FrameMaker--a whole other topic.) Our templates are not
optimized for single-sourcing as both PDFs and HTML, so if we're going to
distribute review copies in HTML, we'll need to tweak our templates
accordingly.

I've not used Jaws, but my experience with FinalDraft has been good. I haven't found it to be a drawback that review copies are presented as HTML pages. For us, that's actually been a benefit. Reviewers tend to focus on the content rather than page layout and formatting issues. YMMV.

FinalDraft is a time-saver because of the threaded discussions, the paperless reviews, and the ability to find automatically the locations in your source documents where you need to make changes. Also, because the Reviewer component is a free browser plug-in, it's more viable in many environments than Acrobat.

Regards,

--
David Knopf ~ Knopf Online
david at knopf dot com ~ www.knopf.com

Please don't send follow-up questions to me privately.
Instead, post them to the list.

Consulting & Training for Technical Communicators
RoboHelp ~ FrameMaker ~ WebWorks ~ Structured Authoring ~ XML
WebWorks Publisher Certified ~ Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT, wwp-users & Techshoret

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com