RE: How to document column names?

Subject: RE: How to document column names?
From: David Demyan <ddemyan -at- coppercom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:33:07 -0400

Emily wrote:
>>I have chose to use the name that the GUI displays and then included a
note
informing the user what the column represents. Is this going to cause users
anxiety when looking at the documentation? Am I going to be confusing
them?<<

I had a similar problem. A window with columns had so much text in the
headings that the screen shot of the window only showed "Na...", "Cus...",
"Add..." etc. When explaining the columns, I didn't want to show the cryptic
names since the column width, and therefore the amount of the name showing,
was adjustable. So, I put callouts on the screen shot with the full column
heading name, then referenced that in text.

This may work for you.

Dave

NOTE: This message, including any attachments, may include privileged,
confidential and/or inside information. Any distribution or use of this
communication by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from
your system. Thank you.

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com