Re: Possible Memory Problem? Please help identify!

Subject: Re: Possible Memory Problem? Please help identify!
From: cchris -at- toptechwriter -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:09:19 -0600

Hi, Michelle

Are you running the applications remotely? If so, the problem may be that
the host system isn't closing sessions down when you quit out of Acrobat
and other misbehaving apps, so it gets confused when you try to reopen
those apps (the problem may be caused by license conflicts if you've only
got permission to use one or two licenses of an application).

Since it's just you teleworkers having problems, I tend to blame
networking or hosting problems as those would affect you equally. The
chances of two PCs that had previously worked OK suddenly having identical
internal failures are unlikely.

Regards,
Chris
TopTechWriter.US
http://www.toptechwriter.us
Award-winning technical writing and illustration services.

> A coworker and I are having a problem that seems to be related to
> memory, but we're not sure. For example, when I launch Acrobat 6.0 more
> than a few times, it stops working. An open session will continue
> working, but if I close Acrobat, I can't relaunch it. I have to reboot
> to be able to launch it again. This happens several times a day and is
> extremely frustrating since it takes quite a while to reboot. We have
> problems with other applications as well: Outlook, WebEx, NetMeeting,
> and others. We are both telecommuters using cable modem and VPN software
> to access our networks. Our Ops folks think this is an Acrobat issue and
> have asked us to un-/re-install, but that didn't help (not
> surprisingly). They think because of our situation (both telecommuting)
> there is a connection there and that it's not related to memory. FWIW,
> we're both on Windows 2000.

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com