Re: Possible Memory Problem? Please help identify!

Subject: Re: Possible Memory Problem? Please help identify!
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:59:52 -0400

Parcell, Michelle wrote:

A coworker and I are having a problem that seems to be related to
memory, but we're not sure. For example, when I launch Acrobat 6.0 more
than a few times, it stops working. An open session will continue
working, but if I close Acrobat, I can't relaunch it. I have to reboot
to be able to launch it again. This happens several times a day and is
extremely frustrating since it takes quite a while to reboot. We have
problems with other applications as well: Outlook, WebEx, NetMeeting,
and others. We are both telecommuters using cable modem and VPN software
to access our networks. Our Ops folks think this is an Acrobat issue and
have asked us to un-/re-install, but that didn't help (not
surprisingly). They think because of our situation (both telecommuting)
there is a connection there and that it's not related to memory. FWIW,
we're both on Windows 2000.

Does anyone have any insight as to what else could be causing this, or
has anyone had similar experiences? We'd be very grateful for any
suggestions. Please respond to me personally (as well as the list, if
you like) because I'm on digest and would love to try to fix this
situation today.

Things to look at:

1. Check your Task Manager to see if you have orphan processes running. For example, if the Applications tab shows no instances of Acrobat but the Processes tab shows that Acrobat.exe is running, kill the process. Similarly, if it shows multiple instances of Acrobat or Outlook, etc., kill the excess instances so that you get down to one or, if necessary, zero. Obviously you don't want to run around killing processes randomly; only kill the specific ones you recognize as applications you are running. The rest of them are generally operating system and security stuff you don't want to shut down.

2. Stop and restart at least your local router (if you're connected to an in-home wireless network, even if you're cabled directly to the router) and possibly your cablemodem. In my experience (that is, with my particular setup), the comprehensive sequence is:

a. Shut down all computers gracefully.
b. Unplug the router.
c. Unplug the cablemodem.
d. Go do something around the house for 10 minutes or so
e. Plug in the cablemodem and wait for it to finish booting
and stabilize (four steady green lights and a flashing amber
activity light in my case).
f. Plug in the router and wait for it to finish booting and
stabilize.
g. Restart the computers and wait for the virus software, VPN,
and firewall to come up before attempting any online
operations.
h. Clear out old tmp files. Look in other places besides the
TEMP directory (especially in the Windows directory) for
strays. You won't be able to delete the few that were just
created after rebooting.

This generally clears up whatever was ailing the system.

3. This might be a firewall issue (on your locally installed firewall) or a VPN issue. Have your sysadmin walk you through your settings on both.

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com