RE: waking up to the world of Technical Writing

Subject: RE: waking up to the world of Technical Writing
From: "Nora Merhar" <nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:56:06 -0000 (GMT)

A lot depends on the nature of the couple, now, doesn't it? For instance,
how they get along, how much money they make, and of course what their
expectations are. All other things being equal, the couple that goes to
the Palm may have a better time, but do they have a SIGNIFICANTLY better
time based on the amount of money they spent? (I am assuming that the Palm
is more expensive than the Sizzler). Also depends on what they want--for
instance, at the Sizzler (or Ponderosa, or similar) I expect to get a
decently edible meal fairly quickly and cheaply, with little intervention
by waitstaff (so a non-professional waitress would not bother me a bit
unless she dumped my iced tea in my lap). I suspect I would have more
expectations at a place like the Palm (then again, I hate going to places
where they put my napkin in my lap for me). It might be the difference
between the Gimp (free) and Corel Draw--and guess which one I use (I HAVE
eaten at a Sizzler, but not at the Palm...)

I am not sure how this relates to UI design. Personally, I want the UI to
intuitively show me what I need and how to get there, but OTOH, I happily
use undocumented or very-little-documented programs (or command lines) if
I think I can do what I need to do with them. I LIKE the simplest
solution.

Yet again, on the OTHER hand, I document mostly hardware. So maybe I don't
count.

Nora

--
Nora