Re: Side note to "Ethics of job-interview testing"

Subject: Re: Side note to "Ethics of job-interview testing"
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:54:21 -0400

Jones, Donna wrote:

I had an interview about a year ago when I found out shortly into the
interview that they were looking to hire a senior contract writer at junior
writer wages ($17 per hour!). I went through with the interview because I
couldn't think of a tactful way to get out of it without making my contract
house look bad or without permanently burning the bridge with that company.
When the job offer came from them a week or so later, I told my contract
house the truth but had them extend my apologies and tell the company that I
had accepted another position. I'm not sure if I handled it the best way,
but that was all I could think of doing at the time.

My shortest interview resulted from an agency I had not worked with before promoting me to a company I thought (wrongly) that I knew something about.

My résumé said then, as it says now, that I spent three years doing full-time anti-Vietnam War organizing (accounts for the time and highlights the skills I gained). Further, the last time I shaved was in 1968, and my ponytail (the bulk of my remaining hair) is of immodest length. The company, one part of which has made graphic arts equipment for a century or more, turned out to be a division that makes weapons systems.

The interview, with a crewcut ex-Marine, was brief (I had the skills they wanted; they didn't have the job I wanted). I ended it by saying, politely, that the recruiter and I had never met (true) nor worked together before (also true), and that clearly there had been a misunderstanding. I said it was clear that we did not have a good fit. The interviewer said he understood and respected my integrity and my willingness to stand up for my beliefs. I repaid the compliment to him, we shook hands, and I was led back out through the long underground passage and through the security door to the lobby.

I spent more time waiting in the lobby than I spent in that corridor, more time in the corridor than getting the fifty-cent tour of the documentation floor; and more time getting the tour than in the interview. It did not last five minutes, and most of that consisted of the interviewer describing the open position.

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com