Re: More Friday pranks

Subject: Re: More Friday pranks
From: Linda Castellani <lindac -at- opsware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 16:16:07 -0700

Along the same lines:

Way back in the days of Frame 1.0, I was working on a document, when much to my astonishment, one of the letters on the page suddenly went crooked, rocked back and forth for a few seconds, then fell off and landed at the bottom of the screen. Pretty soon another went, and then another, and there was a little pile of letters at the bottom of the screen. On a Sun in those days, the Frame menu was a free-floating tool bar, and soon there were piles of letters all over it.

It was very cool and it completely freaked me out. I went to talk to one of the systems engineers who could usually help me troubleshoot problems, but he seemed as perplexed as I, and suggested that I call Frame technical support. My support guy was named Bill Rose (he was so accustomed to hearing from me that we were on a first name basis) and when I called him in a panic, he started to laugh. He had me look on the system for a program called Melt, and sure enough, someone was running it against my document. That someone turned out to be the very engineer who feigned amazement.

I thank Karen for the info about Shimmer. I think I know what I am going to do come Friday...

Linda

Karen E. Black wrote:

Thursday I edited and saved an implementation document in Word, having set some text with a blinking background to call the next user's attention to it. Yesterday (Friday) the next user came to me to ask how to turn off this font attribute, so I showed him. I also showed him the Shimmer attribute that you can apply to make someone think their eyesight is going funny. Just one wiggling word in a document can drive someone to drink. Which is why we HAVE Fridays.

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com