Re: Ethics of job-interview testing

Subject: Re: Ethics of job-interview testing
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 07:34:47 +0530

Telling you that all applicants would be writing about the same feature
sounds like they're trying to assure you that they're not asking their
applicants to document their product for no pay, and yes, asking you
to write about their product gives them a much better chance of seeing
your writing than asking you to write about the "surprise object that is
not related to the company's products in any way at all" (you're less
likely to be able to paste in something you found elsewhere). Most
CEOs don't interview individual contributor candidates except as a
final check after others have screened them, so if you had prior
interviews by phone or in person with other people and your intuition
tells you that things were going well prior to your meeting with the
CEO, the fact that you got to that level at all ought to be positive. Other
than that, I don't think it's possible to form an opinion based on the
information you've provided.

Gene Kim-Eng