RE: dispensing with documentation reviews

Subject: RE: dispensing with documentation reviews
From: "Mike Hiatt" <mhiatt -at- vocaldata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:36:09 -0500

Here's anecdotal evidence of why this might not be so good unless you clearly label the documentation at "early release" or "Beta" or whatever.

We sent out Beta documentation to a customer who translates for themselves and their market. I just received the fourth set of questions from them. All of the questions are of the variety - "The interfaces shows field AAA BBB CCC, but the supporting table shows field AAA DDD. Should this be AAA BBB CCC?" Some of them are about fields that were added or deleted after the Beta doc was completed.

It's great feedback, especially since we're pressed for time. But it is rather embarrassing to have to confirm that we either didn't get it correct or it changed, unknown to us.

As long as the customer understands this isn't "released" or final documentation (whatever that means in your organization) then you're probably okay. But if the point is to skip reviews and release early documentation as if it's finished, it could make the organization look bad.

Mike Hiatt
Manager, Tech Pubs
VocalData, Inc.
Dallas, TX (yep, that one)