Re: Cover letter feedback

Subject: Re: Cover letter feedback
From: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:44:39 -0700

Chuck Martin wrote:

Hey all,

I'm hoping to get some feedback about my cover letters. I know many of you
have been in management, and I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

<snip>

Just a long-belated note of thanks to all who replied, but publicly and privately. (I've not read the list since I posted--but I did read the private notes.)

I not only appreciate the advice, I've adopted a lot of it. Chiefly, to shorten the introductory paragraph and to put the job-specific match stuff right up at the top. The reeult has been shorter cover letters.

There was one bit of advice that puzzled me (and I don't remember who wrote it): to leave out my degree qualifications. I dunno, I guess I kind of believe that a degree in the field where I choose to work shows to some extent a significant commitment to excellence in the discipline (not to mention showing the too many who do not know that university-level education in this field both exists and can be a benefit to their company).

As a closing note, I'm tickled to say that for the first time in nearly two years, I'm working *for* a company (not just *at* one, as a contractor). This has been my goal all along, but the market has been almost entirely contracts (I saw one posted just today; some company wants a 150-page user guide for their application written in 3-4 weeks, and they want someone to start the day before the holiday weekend). I was tremendously disappointed two weeks to get turned down (again) for a job that I really wanted, but last week got an offer, which I accepted just before another company contacted me saying that they wanted to check my references because they wanted to make me an offer.

Meanwhile, day 2 and I'm set up with a 3GHz P4 with 1 GB RAM, 100+GB HD, and 2 19-inch monitors and a whole host of authoring software on the way. And for the next 2 weeks, I'm sitting by a window.

I feel whole again, and it's in part to the support and advice I've received here. May you all never be wanting for chocolate.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com