RE: Paper Manual to Online Help - where to start?

Subject: RE: Paper Manual to Online Help - where to start?
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:52:11 -0400

dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com suggested:

> I'd suggest you consider distributing PDFs
> of the existing manuals. PDFs are automatically searchable;
> TOC entries
> can be hyperlinked easily; for a small additional expense, you can
> hyperlink index entries easily; with a fair amount of
> additional effort,
> you can hyperlink cross-references; they are as easy to update as the
> printed books and significantly easier (and cheaper!) to
> distribute; if you
> need one, you can add a link from the application (perhaps on
> the Help
> menu) that opens the PDF.

> The only negative that comes to mind that Acrobat isn't free,
> although I
> believe it costs far less than RoboHelp. (I'm not familiar
> with the other
> tools for creating PDF from Word--check the Techwr-L archives.)

There are some Open Source tools available. The current version
of OpenOffice.org, for example, creates PDFs directly. It accepts
Word documents, with relatively little tweaking required.

/kevin

--
The following text added by my employer, outside my control:
The information contained in this electronic mail transmission may be

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com