Re: Toggle on/off or Turns on and off

Subject: Re: Toggle on/off or Turns on and off
From: peemo -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:46:56 -0600

Sean asks:

which would you prefer:

> Button z turns on and off feature a.
>
> Button z toggles on/off feature a.
>
> Button z enables/disables feature a.
---
I'd write:

Button z turns feature a on and off.

As for the role of the tech writer with these things, in most of the
larger firms in which I've worked, that is the work of the development
team. As a Business Analyst on the development team, I chose the naming
conventions, but our doc team came in after the app was finished (yeah,
I'd not do it that way, either).

I think it has to do with how your role is viewed in the company. If you
are an integral part of the development team and if you are the one who is
willing to watch for consistency, then that seems like a good fit.

Pam

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com