Re: Semantic markup for tabular data

Subject: Re: Semantic markup for tabular data
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:04:56 -0400

Ooh, ooh, me, me!

I'm going to take a whack at it Kevin, just so the semantic markup gurus can tell me if I've got my head screwed on straight.

Your customer needs to know which of your products are compatible with some subset of their systems. Your customers need information. They do not necessarily have to get that information by running their fingers down a table.

Instead, picture a situation where the "document" "knows" what systems your customer has and matches that information with the attribute tags you've added to your product list (in a database, say). Now the "document" (I'm guessing an html document by the time it gets to the customer's browser, although it will have passed through some XML stuff in the middle) shows the customer a short list, perhaps a two-level bulleted list, of your compatible products with the list of his systems subbed under each. Or some other format, including a tabular one, but in any case none of your concern. Your job is just to get the attributes tagged, and the DTD takes care of the rest.

Am I close?

Dick

Mailing List wrote:

All,
Despite the recent conversations on WYSIWYG, I've still managed to avoid moving to XML markup as my input method.
That may yet change...

So, help me grasp the paradigm.

Let's say that there's a certain set of info that I've been presenting in FrameMaker (to PDF) or in RoboHelp (to WebHelp) in the form of a table.

It's not super-complicated, but it's not vanilla X-Y. So, my question is how it would be tagged such that a following step/application could know that these are not just little paragraphs, they need special treatment ... regardless of the ultimate output format?

[long description snipped--if you need it, refer to Kevin's original post]

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed