RE: XML and content management tools

Subject: RE: XML and content management tools
From: "technicoid" <technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 07:52:54 -0600

Sue wrote:

>* wysiwyg xml authoring tool that was created for writers (not
developers)
>* includes xsl stylesheets for creating HTML help, Webhelp, oracle help
>* includes workflow, version control, check in/check out
>* can be used with sql and/or oracle databases

If you want very generic XML that can produce print and various online
help output format and don't need to support a huge publications effort,
you might look at AuthorIt or Veredus. However, these products are
really geared toward te indivudal write as opposed to a large workgroup.

The problem with what you're asking is that XSL transforms are dependent
on the structure you choose. Most editing tools come with some default
structures and maybe even some XSL stylesheets. However, if you want to
have something that really fits your needs, you need to design it
yourself, especially the XSL tranforms to produce the help output
formats. Anyone who sells you an "XML solution" without infomring you of
the startup costs in XSL design work has sold you snake oil.

I work with Arbortext Epic, which has been greatly improved in the
latest version, and have just downloaded XML Spy, which is also much
better now in its current version than it used to be. I don't care for
Xmetal (which is the least expensive of all three). XSL Spy Professional
has a schema and stylesheet development tools built in.

Another thing--WYSIWYG in an XML environment is an illusion, unless
you're working with FrameMaker 7.x. (Even then, you're only seeing the
print rendition.) The best you'll get in the tools I mentioned above is
something more like quasi-wyg. :-) You'll have to desgin XSL stylesheets
or FOSIs to render the XML on screen.

All the tools I've mentioned can be integrated with SQL or Oracle
databases, but again, not without some development efforts on your part.
XML-related technologies are powerful and can save you a lot of money.
However, they're not cheap and require some investment.

Bill
technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com