Getting a new writer up to speed quickly?

Subject: Getting a new writer up to speed quickly?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 13:50:29 -0400

Rene Stephenson wondered: <<My client is in the position of having to replace a seasoned writer... This new writer demonstrates good fundamental writing skills (good organization, impeccable grammar/composition) and has a vague familiarity with the technical product that my client produces. The new writer has rudimentary experience with FM and RH.>>

The tool skills are largely irrelevant at the start of things, since it's most important that she can write well. Just about anyone can type text and apply a style in Frame and RH with little expertise in the tool, and it's the typing and basic style application that are most important initially. Create content first, fondle fonts later. <g> Make sure to spend about 15 minutes ensuring that the newbie understands how to do this well; Frame and RH both have their quirks.

Although it's arguably more efficient to apply hyperlinks etc. as you create the text, it can still be acceptably efficient to apply them in a second pass, while you're revising what you created in the first pass. That's particularly true when you're just getting started.

<<my boss/client is a very busy person... but he's the only one of the team onsite FT. By his own admission, he's not going to have the time to spend training a newbie.>>

This means that you will have to make time to train this person. Make sure to establish a good working relationship (perhaps even a mentoring relationship) right from the start to ensure that you're working _together_, not at cross-purposes. Focus on "this is how you'll be judged by the boss" and "I'm here to ensure that you're judged favorably by the boss": that is, that you're helping the person come up to speed and be successful, not just criticizing them or bossing them around.

Training doesn't have to be a huge burden if the person is willing to learnl. Start by showing them what styles and templates should be used, and brief them on the 10% of the tool that they'll be using 90% of the time; they can look up the other 90% of the features in the docs. Give them several examples of what you've already created and suggest that they use those to guide how they write. Review their initial efforts immediately, before they create huge amounts of text, so that any corrections will be reflected in subsequent writing (ideally, so you won't have to correct these problems in the future), and repeat these reviews until they're up to speed.

<<Verify she's an STC member, so she can get some exposure to the field from attending those meetings.>>

Irrelevant for a newbie, though STC meetings are a great place to be mentored and find support. I do believe STC is a good value for professionals, but it's not even close to important for someone being dropped right into a full-time job and deadlines.

<<Give her this list serve and FM Users to subscribe by digest, as an emersion method of learning.>>

Good thought, but reminder her that we're a touchy bunch that seems to enjoy biting the head off a newbie who doesn't mind their manners. <g>

<<Give her a copy of the client's Standards & Styles Guide for her edification.>>

Although some writers use style guides effectively, I've found that most do a better job imitating examples than using the guide. So provide both until you learn which approach she prefers.

<<Create a process flow for her that identifies the steps of the writing process in my client's environment.>>

That's very important, but don't forget the stuff that doesn't appear in the process: Name the SMEs who are actively hostile to writers, which ones will spend a day bringing you up to speed, which ones can be bribed with donuts, which managers should be avoided, which computer staff to suck up to, and so on. In short, the things she'll need to know to survive in the human environment.

<<Make sure she has access to the right source files and shared drives, and introduce her to the right SMEs.>>

Very important.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com