Re: Writing doc for open source software (was Help Needed -- Build Your Portfolio)

Subject: Re: Writing doc for open source software (was Help Needed -- Build Your Portfolio)
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:35:54 -0400

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com wrote on 05/14/2004 02:14:15 PM:
> I'm interesting in having a discussion of writing
> documentation for open
> source software (OSS). Why does it seem that there are so
> few tech writers
> participating in OSS? Yes, we have day jobs working on
> other projects, but
> so do most programmers who develop OSS. Why are there so many OSS
> programmers, and (proportionately) so few OSS tech writers?

Well, programmers improving OSS are also doing it for their own gain
because they need a particular functionality.

> I currently work for a company that produces OSS, and then
> sells consulting
> to build custom solutions with it. I find myself spending
> most of my time on
> client projects, while the OSS documentation is low
> priority. So, even
> though documenting OSS is part of my job, I do very little
> of it. I find
> this prioritization appropriate and yet somewhat ironic.

If you look at the situation closer, you've answered your own question.
Technical documentation is part of the revenue generating side of the
equation. If the documentation was well done and free, there would be
little need for training. Programmers can increase the functionality and
program OSS, but they in turn generate more work for themselves
integrating those OSS applications into workflows and processes.

Code that a programmer creates for OSS maybe used to speed up or ease
their 'day job'.

A techwriter writing for OSS is putting themselves out of business. At
least that's how I see it.

> I'd like to hear from those of you who actually have spent
> significant time working on OSS projects. (Bruce Byfield, I'm thinking
of you.)

But, while Bruce writes about OSS, his writing isn't free. (I'm sure Bruce
will correct me if I'm wrong.) He gets paid to write articles.

If a programmer spends his evenings programming OSS applications, they can
still get paid to integrate them, administer, and monitor them. If a
techwriter writes the equivalent of MySQL for dummies, but gives it away,
where does that leave the writer?

Programmers can share snippets of code and build on each others experience
and effort (and in the end profit from the collaborative effort). I'd
hazard the statement that programmers even create better environments for
themselves as the systems become more complex.

How does the techwriter benefit from sharing bits of text and
instructions?

Perhaps I'm just too sceptical. But, I'd like to see how I could make a
living giving away my work. And my view seems to be shared by a majority
of writers. If it weren't, wouldn't most of the third party books on both
Commercial and OSS applications be free?

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com