RE: To space before a bracket or not to space?

Subject: RE: To space before a bracket or not to space?
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- Users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:29:43 -0400

As a former catalog librarian, I can say that the editor is NOT
completely out in left field here, even though she is applying a
convention that's not appropriate for this situation. There is a
situation where you don't include a space before and after brackets --
when you're correcting a particular type of misprint and need to
identify the correction as such. When you're cataloging a book (or
other item), you must reproduce the exact content of the title page,
including any misprints, so that the catalog record will accurately
identify that specific book. You can, however, supply a correction in
brackets. If the correction is one or more letters missing from a word,
you wouldn't use spaces before and after the brackets. For example, if
the title page gives that author's last name as "Smth" when it should be
"Smith," the catalog record would read "Sm[i]th."