RE: Bulleted list in X5

Subject: RE: Bulleted list in X5
From: <Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 07:02:54 -0700

Look at the compiled help, or the html file directly (with a browser) rather than using the WYSINRWYG (What you see is not really what you get) RoboHelp editor. My guess is that your problem is one I've encountered before: RH doesn't really display HTML correctly. If you see numbers instead of bullets in the HTML file when viewed in a browser, check the CSS.

In many ways, RH's HTML viewer is like the (evil) FrontPage viewer. You're not seeing a true rendering of the HTML in a browser window - you're seeing a pseudo-browser rendering, which doesn't appear to be W3C/HTML compliant. Why companies create this type of misleading viewer is beyond comprehension, but there are a lot of tools out there with similar problems. On top of this is the RH code bloat, but I won't go there now.

My advice is to pretty much ignore the RH "WYSIWYG" and "True code" views. If you want to see what your help files will look like, open them in a browser. If you _really_ want to see what your viewers will see, open them the browser(s) your users will be using.

The simplest thing to do (IMO) is author the topics in HTML (by hand or in a competent WYSIWYG editor like DreamWeaver) and then use RH to assemble them into a help file at the end. This helps avoid the problem you're currently having.

Hopefully now that Macromedia has ownership of RH, some if its... quirks... will be fixed.

Dan