Re: Workflow/testing template?

Subject: Re: Workflow/testing template?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:01:07 -0700 (PDT)

Just as someone who builds jigs for producing consistent results in carpentry, I would presume that a workflow process for testing a particular product might need to be constructed for that purpose, too.

Unless someone knows of something that is beyond my own experience, I would hazard a guess (an educated one, I would hope) that a general template may not take into account the peculiarities of your particular product.

This would seem to be a worthwhile thing for the techwriter (working in tandem with your testing folks and the product design engineers) to construct, including procedures and nominal values.

This is what I did on several projects in the past that involved manufacturing and testing of products. The result was a form that contained testing instructions and, for each test, the range of acceptable values with the result of the given test indicated. The form in one case was reduced to paper that accompanied a product down the assembly line, in others it was an electronic form that was a frontend for a database and keyed to the individual product via barcode.

In the case of the paper form, the resulting document was included with the documents shipped with those products which passed.

David

-----Original Message from dan -dot- gallagher -at- pulsartech -dot- com-----

Hi folks,
A technician here at my job asked me if I knew of any templates for
testing/workflow. I asked him if he searched google and he said yes. So I
offered to post it to the know-it-alls on this list for him. He's looking
to document some testing procedures.

It seems to me that a lot would depend on WHAT you're testing. FWIW, he
tests our fiber optic communications products.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Dan--Ft. Lauderdale

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed