Question about contracting?

Subject: Question about contracting?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 11:14:44 -0400

Felice Albala wondered: <<I recently started a contract for which my skills matched the job descrip perfectly. I now see that the job descrip was inaccurate and this job requires skills I don't have. If I quit or get fired I must pay my vendor the equivalent of 80 hours to offset his loss of face with the client.>>

Ouch! I hope your contract doesn't specify this last condition; if it does, find another vendor once you get out of the current situation. They're imposing a ridiculous contract condition that no contractor should ever have to put up with. On the face of completely inadequate information, it sure seems like they set out to exploit you, but I'd never act on that basis without being awfully sure of it. Speaking of which:

The first thing is to sit down with the client and explain the situation. If you're willing and able to acquire the necessary skills and they're willing to give you time to learn them on the job, there's no problem. First, see if you can get a look at the job requirements they sent to the vendor. Try to avoid explaining why you're asking if you can avoid doing so, but if you can't, be honest. A good client will understand the situation and help you through it.

If the vendor knowingly altered the client's requirements in an attempt to hire a less-skilled worker (you) at a lowball price, then they acted fraudulently and misrepresented the situation to you in the contract. A good lawyer would nail them for this in court. Although your "vendor" does have the right to protect their "face", any vendor who acts in this manner deserves to have their face ripped off--not just lost.

The only way to find out the true situation is to talk to the client. If they honestly communicated the client's requirements, then the client is the one who misrepresented their requirements and needs to fix the problem.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com