Interesting comment from a process wonk

Subject: Interesting comment from a process wonk
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:01:03 -0400

So we have a user conference coming up, and one of the things I do is whip everyone's PowerPoint presentations into some sort of shape so they can be printed for the conference binders. (I know this is a stupid way to convey information, and I don't want to get into that argument here. It's not my idea, and I lose the fight over it every year.)

Anyway, some of the presenters are not our employees but are our customers or our business partners. So I have to be a little more polite when I edit their slides, like asking them what they mean and if it's okay to change certain things, lest I inadvertently alter their meaning. On Friday one of these presentations came in, and I sent back an email maybe half an hour later querying a bunch of stuff. This morning, the author, a guy who runs his own consulting shop specializing in training engineers in a capability maturity approach to the product development process, sent me an email that said, "You have a great eye for detail!" and asked me to call him.

During the course of the conversation (in which he gladly accepted my suggested changes), he said he had never really thought about the need for a writer or editor before, but he could see that the face he presents to his prospects and clients is mediated by the quality of the documents he gives them. His business is growing and he wants to do the right thing. I think a lightbulb turned on, and now he's ready to go looking for a freelance editor he can retain for these quick turnaround projects. (I sent him some links, because he acknowledged he wouldn't know where to begin looking for someone. I'm not offering the job here or even offering to forward contacts to him. That would be inappropriate, as I didn't give Eric fifty bucks.)

I thought this was an unusual experience for a couple of reasons. First, it's rare enough that anyone thanks me for editing their work; and I've never run across a consultant who was humble enough to acknowledge the need for editing help. Second, I think I indirectly created a job for someone (Yay me!). Third, this guy talks to others about process. Once he realizes the value of paying someone to help him communicate better, he can persuade his clients that they ought to be paying writers and editors to do the same for them. That's a good thing, right?

Okay, I did my mitzvah for today. Can I go home now?

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed