Re: Help with RoboDemo

Subject: Re: Help with RoboDemo
From: aklemmer -at- factset -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 11:09:13 -0400

Hi Lisa,
I'm not a RoboDemo user, but we encountered similar usability issues when
we were creating online training modules in Flash (also with a lot of
interactivity.)

One solution is to have the user click a button/hotspot to continue once
they've finished reading a caption. The movie stays stopped until they do
this; it gives the user total control over pace. Yes, they do have to
click, but clicking's not hard. We even include a "click the arrow to
continue" instruction when clicking-to-continue is required with a given
caption.

In Flash, I believe you can also add a user-controlled "slider" to control
things like frames-per-second play rate (using ActionScript). I don't know
if this is possible within RoboDemo, however.

Abby Klemmer
FactSet Research Systems

> From: "Lisa A. Roth" <roth.lisa at jimmy.harvard.edu>
> Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 14:00:42 -0400
>
> Hi there,
>
> I am relatively new at using RoboDemo, and have encountered a situation
> where some viewers mention that the simulation is slow for their tastes,
> while others think it's a bit fast sometimes.
>
> Being that our demo contains quite a bit of interactivity, has anyone
> out there found a way to allow the user to have somewhat more control
> over the pace? I am looking for something beyond the
> stop/pause/play/etc. playback control. What I am most interested in is
> whether there are any ways to allow the demo to advance as soon as a
> user has done the correct action without waiting for the caption to time
> out. If there is such a setting, my theory is that the faster users can
> advance at a comfortable pace while still providing the slower readers
> with an adequate amount of time to do what they need.
>
> Does anyone have a strategy for this, or am I trying to have my cake and
> eat it too?

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com