Re: To Index of not to Index

Subject: Re: To Index of not to Index
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 14:21:45 -0400

Dan,

If it's a short book - 10 to 15 pages, maybe as many as 20
pages - then it probably doesn't need to be indexed. If it's
a narrative that is meant to be read from start to finish,
like a novel or a whitepaper, then it doesn't need to be
indexed.

What that leaves is about 90% of what we write - and that
definitely needs to be indexed. And while Dick is right, to
a certain extent, that indexing is an art and not as easy
as it looks, I disagree that you should outsource the job.
IMO, every technical writer needs to be at least competent,
if not great, at indexing and the sooner you start, the
better off you'll be and the sooner you'll get good at it.
;-)

Good Luck!
-Sue Gallagher

> From: dan -dot- gallagher -at- pulsartech -dot- com
> I maintain all the technical manuals here and none have an index. So I was
> wondering if an index would help customers or not.
>
> Pulsar makes fiber-optic and Power-Line carrier communications equipment,
> for utilities, with a plethora of options. There's a multitude of
> abbreviations used throughout the books, PLC, V4T, SRD and numerous
> industry abbreviations, processes and protocols. I would imagine an index
> in these books would be quite an undertaking. (job security?) hmmm.
>
> I have no idea where to start, or even if I should even think about
> including an index. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com