RE: arrogance

Subject: RE: arrogance
From: Jay -dot- Malone -at- ser -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 10:43:28 -0400

Regarding perceptions of arrogance in TWs and SMEs:

I recently worked on a project (not this one) in which it was nigh on to
impossible to get anything done because of this very battle. The SMEs were
all decent to excellent programmers, but none spoke English as a first
language and most could not write it with any fluency. Yet they'd demand to
have something redone that completely changed the meaning, often to the
point that it'd be not only unclear, but downright wrong. I will not
knowingly introduce an edit that's patently wrong. The perception: I'm
arrogant. In the end, my manager and I came to an understanding about it,
but I actually got dinged on my performance review for being "hard to get
along with." If you knew me, you'd think it was funny, too. This only a year
after getting another review at a different company in which the manager
said I was approachable and flexible. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Jay, independent technical writer and editor,
on-site at SER Solutions in Dulles VA,
and doggone easy to get along with

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com