RE: RoboHelp for FM in the real world

Subject: RE: RoboHelp for FM in the real world
From: "Rene Stephenson" <rinnie1 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 11:17:32 -0400

Hi! Sean, THANK YOU for your valuable insight!! I have
a couple of follow-up q's for ya:

--- Sean wrote:

> Questions
> ---------
> It would affect the code because you have to call the
> WebHelp API instead. I very much expect you can use
> the same map IDs, but don't know for certain.

Hmmm, I forgot about the API call. That may limit my
options to RHO or WWP only, at least for the UNIX help
project...

> 1) Create a DOC file from your RHO project and import
> the DOC into FrameMaker.

I tried that route, but the DOC file from RHO doesn't
include any of the popup topics (and there are tons).
It also blew away all cross-references. LOTS of rework.

> 2) Convert your HLP project HPJ to a RoboHTML MPJ and
> use Quadralay's (www.webworks.com) to convert the MPJ
> to MIF which you can open and work on in FrameMaker.

I have an old copy of WWP Pro (V6.0), but I'm not sure if
it will work in WinXP well enough to run a test case. If
I can get the MPJ to WDP or WFP without losing much, I know
I can import the WDP or WFP to RHFM without having to go
down to the MIF level. Maybe that's a viable migration
path. (Funny, I've used WWP for publishing to HTML, etc.,
but never considered it for HLP, etc.)

> You probably will lose things like c-s markers, and
> the like, and have to reinsert those manually.

"c-s" = context sensitive, meaning the flags for the map
IDs, right?

> In the long term, yes, very much so ... or go to
> WebWorks Publisher (my preference).

Do you prefer WWP over RHFM bc WWP is more of an
authoring environment, or is it a user interface
thing, or features, or what? Do tell.... :-)

Thanks again, Hero. ;-)

Rene

>From a single set of Word documents, create quality printed documentation,
HTML Help, cross-platform HTML, WinHelp and JavaHelp, with ComponentOne's
DoctoHelp 7 Professional, http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com