"Ripping Friends" abuses Technical Writers

Subject: "Ripping Friends" abuses Technical Writers
From: Nora Merhar <nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 00:02:30 -0500

This is an Adult Swim cartoon...

On the show, some guy has designed a video game controller and says "Hey,
Manual Dude! Are you ready to write the instructions for my controller?" A
SUPER-GOOFY looking nerdy guy comes over, and the designer shows him how to
turn the thing on (a very complicated procedure which pretty much avoids the
"ON" button). The "Manual Dude", drooling, says how clever the procedure is,
and says he has to "put it in layman's terms". The instructions he reads back
are even MORE complicated than the procedure he was shown (and BTW, not at
all implausible...).

One of the "Ripping Friends" is listening, and arrests the "Manual Dude". Dude
wants to know why--the RF says "1,026 incidents of circumlocution." Then he
tells the designer that HE's in trouble also. Designer says "I've never
circumlocuted in my life!" RF tells him he's guilty of "convolution".

Pretty funny...
--
Nora
nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh

>From a single set of Word documents, create quality printed documentation,
HTML Help, cross-platform HTML, WinHelp and JavaHelp, with ComponentOne's
DoctoHelp 7 Professional, http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com