RE: Techwr-L and Good Will

Subject: RE: Techwr-L and Good Will
From: "Colin Ramsden" <colin -at- ramsden -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 02:07:43 +1000

Eric.

And you wrote:
> Now that's the interesting question, and a good way to put it.
> I'd love to have an answer.

>Eric
>ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

And I reply to you both (and the other list members):
No, there is generally no excuse for nastiness, even if you subjectively
perceive that the recipient may deserve it in some way. The needs, attitude,
or resourcefulness of other list members is not for us to judge or
adjudicate upon within the list.
As I understand it, this list is primarily provided to enable the sharing of
information between its members and to allow us to technically assist each
other where possible, and if we can.

It boils down to a matter of simple list etiquette:
If you don't know - don't reply.
If you can't be more helpful or descriptive - don't reply.
If you want to bitch about your day - don't reply.
If you want to impress the other list members - don't reply.
If you feel offended (unless personally addressed) - don't reply.
If your reply could possibly upset your spouse, partner, parent, or child -
don't reply.
If you're not sure - don't reply.

Remember that this list and everything in it (including your comments) are
archived and instantly available to anyone with access to a search engine
now and potentially forever into the future. Would you like to have your
name always associated with a particular comment you made in the heat of
moment? Or would it be a wiser move to control your use of the send key?

Colin Ramsden

>From a single set of Word documents, create quality printed documentation,
HTML Help, cross-platform HTML, WinHelp and JavaHelp, with ComponentOne's
DoctoHelp 7 Professional, http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com