RE: Great piece on marketing collateral

Subject: RE: Great piece on marketing collateral
From: shankAtIndiaDotcom <ss_rajanala -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:35:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- "D.H. White" <whitedh -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

> >>And you define well-written by grammar,
> rather than by ability to
> communicate the ideas to the audience?
>
> >>The moral of the story is: Write for your
> audience, not for your peers.

You write a book or article, print and publish it
- then you go figure if what you said is gotten
across. and realize, omigosh, the reader is lost:
now what do you do?

The point is, a priori, we got not way of knowing
if the message is getting across or not if not
for the rules of that dreaded thing called
'grammar'. Grammar (including semiotic rules) is
all that binds a sender (writer/speaker) and a
recipient (reader/listener) so it need not be a
choice between following grammar or
communicating.

I find it amusing that people seem to think
grammar and communication are in opposition, when
asking a question that sounds to me like:
"Do you want to drive across to the mall, or just
follow the darned traffic rules and signals? Move
on and get a life, man!"

white better cannot think i put than it but help
i expand...

then again, I _am_ aware that Colorless green
ideas sleep furiously.

=====
Thanks and regards,
Sankara S Rajanala
[also]shank -at- india -dot- com
satyam vada, priyam vada
na satyam a-priyam vada
[speak truth, speak gentle
speak not ungentle truth]

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com