Re: Rant

Subject: Re: Rant
From: "Diane Boos" <dboos -at- drizzle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:45:32 -0700

Don't blame the interview difficulties all on the HR dept. or their
recuriters. It could be the people in the department chose to conduct the
interview. NY doesn't have a monopoly on these kinds of situations. We have
them in the Seattle area.

A few years back, I was interview by three programmers. All the questions
required highly technical, senior programming skills. The job was not for
programmer writer. I was thinking that maybe interviews had gotten mixed up.
I've had it happen before so I double-checked with them and actually read
the job description. I always bring that with me to interviews as a fail
safe. Not one "knew" what a technical writer was. When I pulled out the job
description, all three did some eyeball rolling and shifting in their
chairs. I suspect that they already had someone they wanted to hire and were
"only going through the motions" to satisfy the EEOC requirements.

In another interview last year at a telecommunications company, the entire
interview from the time I left my car on the street curb to the time I
returned took 22 minutes. That included the time I waited in the lobby to be
picked up and an elevator ride both directions to a 4th floor conference
room. I suspected that they had already decided to go with someone else and
were going though the motions again.

It's frustrating but it's been part of the interview scenarios since the
late 70s and early 80s every since EEOC laws passed. Anyway I took my petty
vengence by striking that telecommunications company from the list of cell
phone providers. I had been in the process of replacing my cell phone at
that time. It was petty but sure made me feel that little bit better.
Diane

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com