Page counts? (take II)

Subject: Page counts? (take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:46:09 -0400

David Neeley responded to my speculations about the whys and wherefores of sticking with Courier and word counts in this day and age: <<I think your analysis is wrong for several reasons in the real world: >>

And possibly in this virtual world too. I make no claim to infallibility, only to plausibility and to educated speculation.

<<1) Character count, too, is meaningless for many reasons...not the least of which is that different fonts vary a great deal in width. >>

If you use any font as your basis for comparison, including the Courier that started this thread and that you refer to below, you can still predict objectively how long the work is going to be. The advantage of character counts over word counts is clear and easy to demonstrate; the overwhelming disadvantage of word counts is, as I noted, that the broadly assumed average of five characters per word is woefully simplistic.

For what it's worth, a single data point: I've used the approach of estimating character numbers for short works (a series of technical reports averaging fewer than 20 pages) with considerable success--certainly with more success than word counts. But the caveat is that this series had a standard template and predictable layout specs.

<<2) A book design is seldom completed until the complete manuscript is in hand. Illustrations are often added in technical books that may not have been included by the author, while others will be cut. Unless the book is part of an existing series, the design is very fluid until quite late in the process. >>

It's certainly true that designs come late in the cycle, and that the author often has little or no say in the matter. No argument there. But the goal of the exercise is the same in any event: guessing how long the book will be. That's why I said "dump a sample of typical text by the author into the proposed layout template (or use a standard template if each book will be designed differently)".

If you're writing for a series, you generally have a pretty good idea of what the "proposed layout" will be, right down to the typographic specs. If not, you can use a standard template (which for the sake of argument could easily be the "Courier double-spaced" template we were discussing) to get an idea of how long the book is going to be. In terms of the illustrations, either the author knows what's going to be there or the publisher knows what they're planning to add and delete. In either case, you can still easily predict the space requirements for each illustration. Not necessarily accurately--but at least easily, and far more usefully than blind guesses.

<<3) Others have pointed out why the "double space Courier" requirement is still with us; what they have not mentioned is that this is a font that anyone is likely to have no matter the machine...even a *typewriter*.>>

It's also a font that is ugly, that (like most monospaced fonts) wastes space, and that (personal opinion only, please note) is difficult to read and edit. Give me Times any day. The point made by others about how poorly many authors choose fonts for their printouts is a straw man; it's trivially easy to create submission guidelines that let authors choose any of a range of suitable fonts. Most science journals, for example, now specify "use a standard serif font such as Times". I seriously doubt that anyone with a computer produced in the past 10 years lacks some variant of Times.

Typewriters? Please. I'm sure that there are people out there who still use them, including a few well-know authors, but why design your submission specs for a small and dwindling minority? Let the minority do whatever they can, but let the majority work efficiently.

<<Many houses, in fact, specify wide margins to give editors who prefer to work on paper the room physically to add remarks of all sorts. Since so many submissions are being done electronically today, more editors are coming up who are comfortable with editing onscreen rather than with physical paper. I think this trend will continue...but still, many editors are most comfortable working with paper. Thus, having a standard manuscript format is an aid for them. >>

For electronic submissions, rigid specs are entirely irrelevant. Any editor who's not bright enough to figure out how to set new margins and change the line spacing in a document really needs to get a clue or find a new profession. It's not rocket science, and the process could be automated with 5 minutes of work recording a macro.

The whole thing about onscreen editing is precisely how liberating it is: you can change the font size to your heart's content, zoom in as much or as little as you find efficient, screw around with the page layout until it suits your prejudices, and (if it's really more convenient or efficient for you) work on a paper copy whenever you choose.

Here's an unfair generalisation that ignores notable exceptions: The real problem is that the print industry is tremendously conservative, and as is the case in any other industry, has relatively few people who are master of their profession or of the tools of their profession, and these masters are rarely in positions of authority. That, to me, is a more convincing reason why the industry clings to outdated and inefficient techniques.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com