Re: What does $3 a page mean to you?

Subject: Re: What does $3 a page mean to you?
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:57:52 -0700 (PDT)

"Ned Bedinger" <> wrote

> If this sounds like I am blowing sunshine, well, yeah. Much
> as I'd like to be able to generalize, publishing is a big
> industry. Do your metrics, scope your projects, and then
> you're doing what you can to predict what you can do and
> what you need to get it done. If anyone keeps you from
> doing that, sue 'em.

Gaaaah...

Litigating against clients for a misunderstanding is rarely a wise course of
action. Just because you're right, doesn't mean you win lawsuits. Corporations
have a LOT more firepower than an individual. And you could be right
ten-thousand ways until Sunday and STILL LOSE. And then you're little "rage
against the machine and show 'em how it is" lawsuit is suddenly a gargantuan
debt that ruins your life - forever. The company could counter-sue you, and
tack on damages, legal fees, and everything else. Then your $1000 dispute is a
$100,000 problem.

A lawsuit is evidence of a failure - of all parties. If you have to sue a
client for money, then its clear that you didn't do what was necessary to
protect yourself or you didn't read or clarify the fine print. Yes, companies
screw people all the time. Some companies count on hiring amateur writers who
lack business skills. They get them to do a lot of work and then screw them.
Yes, that's evil. But that's the way the world works. Its brutal and
unforgiving. And its not an employer's job to coddle you or protect you. If
this bothers, offends, or angers you - then you're free to NOT be an
independent consultant.

Furthermore, if you're going to hawk your services as an independent
consultant, you had better know how to protect yourself. Otherwise, frankly,
you have no right to complain when you get screwed. If you don't know what to
do, then plan on a lot of hard-learned lessons. Like the one Bonnie just
learned.

Moreover, there are no established rates for how editors or tech writers are
paid. If writer A takes $10 an hour and you demand $40, the employer does not
have some right to pay you $40. So you're whole "living wage" discussion is
just nonsense.

Suing your clients is RARELY in your best interests. Its almost always better
to just forget it and move along. Unless you have a situation of egregious
contract violation where a lot of money was involved - lawsuits almost always
cause more pain then they solve.

Andrew Plato

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com