RE: Hyperlink Index entries in Microsoft Word

Subject: RE: Hyperlink Index entries in Microsoft Word
From: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:45:24 -0400

Ed Tharp wrote about this subject on the Word-PC list about 4 years ago,
explaining that the problem is Word's limit on the number of bookmarks that
can be included in a Word doc.

A hyperlinked TOC requires a bookmark for each entry in the TOC. A
hyperlinked Index would require a bookmark for each page citation in the
Index (not just each entry), so a hyperlinked Index could easily require 50
or 100 times as many as bookmarks as a hyperlinked TOC. For example, Bruce
Eckel's excellent "Thinking in Java," a 1,034-page Word document, has 25
entries in the TOC and approximately 2,500 page citations in the Index.

Word 2K theoretically allows up to 16,379 bookmarks in a single document,
but authors use bookmarks for a variety of purposes, not just indexing.
Besides, it is unwise to design a document that stretches theoretical
limits. Thus, no hyperlinks in the Index -- at least, not as a built-in
function.

Steve Hudson wrote to the Word-PC list last year to suggest a general
framework for a macro that would solve the problem, but my understanding is
that no one's written the macro yet.

Dan Goldstein

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com