Re: Ouch!

Subject: Re: Ouch!
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:05:17 -0400

Steve Schwarzman wrote:
> Bonnie wrote:
>> Have any of you had an adductor injury [...] from sitting and
>> working? If so, did you discover what you were doing wrong that
>> caused the injury?
>
> I don't know specifics about this injury, but I can say that a chair
> is in my opinion the most important investment in deskside health
> (which need not be expensive - I assembled mine from Ikea for I
think
> $65, though you can spend many hundreds on an office chair). Make
> sure it has enough padding on the seat cushion, and that it extends
> to near your knees instead of stopping at the thighs - sounds
> trivial, but after a few hours, insufficient padding/support for
> thighs can be painful. Also, of course, stand up, walk around, get
> your blood flowing on a regular basis throughout the day. That helps
> the brain, too! :)

Thanks, Steve. I invested in a Stylex chair about ten years ago, and
didn't notice recently that its padding has nearly disappeared.

I put the back of the chair in the position it should be in (touching
my back) and got a wheelchair cushion from my local pharmacy (just
now). The pain is largely gone, now, so I am basically just insuring
that I don't injure myself again that way. I think I've got it now,
but I'm forcing myself to put my feet flat on the floor, hoping that
soon it will seem like the only comfortable way. I am the picture of
perfect posture at the computer now.

Bonnie

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com