RE: Why should a tech writer learn XML?

Subject: RE: Why should a tech writer learn XML?
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:39:45 -0400

::: I think the original poster asked the wrong question,
::: though. I think they wanted reasons to persuade a boss
::: the training was good and worthwhile.

Hmmm, if that's the case, I suggest that person work on their delivery
before trying to convince the boss. ;)

As far as convincing your boss to pay for you to learn XML, maybe this will
be of help; follow the steps below.

1. Learn about XML so you know what you're talking about.
2. Identify how you would leverage it.
3. Present the cost/benefit analysis with ROI for your training.
4. Present your business case for the training.

The above assumes you work for a robot. Obviously, when dealing with humans,
you may have to improvise and omit/add/change some stuff on that list.

If the question really is "how do I convince my boss that my learning XML is
a good thing?", you need to be able to articulate why it's a good thing for
you, your company, and how you would use it. You may not ever be asked to
detail any of that info, but you should always have it ready, just in case.

Bill Swallow
wswallow "at" nycap "dot" rr "dot" com

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com