FW: How many have Bachelor's degree? (was RE: Creative, and Certified too)

Subject: FW: How many have Bachelor's degree? (was RE: Creative, and Certified too)
From: "Katia Sullivan" <svk -at- cfdrc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:08:19 -0500

John;

<<<So, the question is, have any of you Tech
Writers bypassed a University education on the way
to your career? In addition to the seminars and
training classes I take, would this Tech Writer
certification be of an earthly assistance as I
grow my resume?>>>

I am in the same boat as you. As a matter of
fact, I think you are my twin. I have also
learned all that I know via OJT. I have a knack
for learning software, hardware, and communicating
with SME's. I have not yet completed my college
degree, however, I feel as if I have reached a
ceiling as far as my career is concerned. I think
that the education I can obtain in earning a
college degree may not necessarily enhance my
technical writing skills, (with the exception of
earning a degree in techical writing), because of
the parctical experience I have involving
accounting, operations, and management. The
problem is that there is an element of
professionals out there in the big bad business
world who do hold a large value in a formal
education. In most fields, I agree with them,
however, aside from being able to put two words
together, I think that technal writing encompasses
many other skills that may not be taught.

I am very curious to hear more from anyone who
initially began their technical writing career
withour a formal education, and then went back to
school to complete that degree. Has it really
made a big difference?

Thanks,

Katia Sullivan

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com