Re: scaling down a document?

Subject: Re: scaling down a document?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 18:17:46 -0700 (PDT)

In my opinion, sure, you could simply scale it down...and issue it in a slipcase like the original "Compact" edition of the Oxford English Dictionary--with a magnifying glass included.

Otherwise, yes, you *should* reformat it if the reduction is very severe. Personally, I'd be tempted to do the project in XML and use one of the XSLT methods to produce both versions. Short of that, create it in one of the publishing programs and work out the various styles for *both* sizes ahead of time. Then, you can change the style sheet and clean up a little and you'll be essentially done--other than the screen capture scaling issues, of course. Note that you'll have some fairly interesting challenges in working out your stylesheets up front, but that will be *much* better than trying to do one and then the other, I think.

Oh, yes...be sure your use of styles is very carefully done. Don't be like so many Word people and use everything in "normal" with custom formatting! Be sure you use well-defined styles for EVERY bit of text in the doc.

David

-----Original Message from New Tech Writer <newtechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>-----

I'm a newbie technical writer and doing a technical
writing internship. My first assignment is to update
and then produce a smaller version of a user guide
that is mostly text and some screen caps.

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com